St. Louis Divorce Attorney

St. Charles County Family Law Lawyer

Divorce Legal Services to Meet Your Needs

At JoAnn C. Donovan, Attorney at Law, we know that every divorce is unique. We provide legal assistance aligned with your goals.

Contact divorce lawyer JoAnn Donovan to schedule a free initial consultation. We will listen to the details of your case and discuss the issues relevant to your situation.

Your Divorce Options

Divorce issues, such as property division, spousal support (alimony), child support and child custody, can be resolved by a family court judge after trial or by written agreement filed with the Court after negotiation between the parties. No matter what the context, an experienced divorce lawyer who has handled many divorces in St. Louis County and St. Charles County can ensure that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities under the law.

Property Division

One major aspect of divorce is property division. The first step in this process is to make sure there is an accurate catalogue and valuation of all marital property − property acquired by either spouse during the marriage. It is also necessary to identify separate property. This may include property acquired by a spouse prior to the date of the marriage, or property acquired by a spouse by gift or inheritance..

Once we have an assessment of the marital property, we will attempt to help you work out a fair settlement with your spouse. Our extensive divorce background can help us suggest creative solutions for settlement. But if it is not possible to negotiate a fair settlement, we are fully prepared to take your case to trial.

Child Support and Spousal Support

Missouri law provides for child support payments from the parent who does not have child custody. Missouri Supreme Court Guidelines determine the amount of child support obligation, based on both parents’ income combined with other factors.

When circumstances make it appropriate, the court can also order permanent spousal maintenance (also sometimes called alimony or spousal support). Otherwise, it is up to the parties to negotiate temporary or permanent spousal maintenance as part of the property settlement.

Divorce Decree Modifications

A divorce lawyer from our firm can also assist you in child custody, child support, and spousal support modifications and child relocation.

Get in Touch With a St. Louis Divorce Lawyer Today

You do not have to deal with divorce issues alone. We at the office of JoAnn C. Donovan, Attorney at Law, can help. Contact a St. Louis divorce lawyer at our firm today to get your case on the right track.



St. Charles Child Support Modification Attorney

Reflecting Changed Circumstances

When a divorce or family law judgment is handed down, it reflects the situation of the family at the time of the judgment. When the situation changes, it often becomes important for the judgment to change as well.

If you are interested in modification of a family law judgment, or if you are a parent covered by a child custody and visitation order and you would like to relocate, contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with family lawyer JoAnn C. Donovan to discuss how we can help you.

Building a Case for Modification

The essential terms of a divorce or other family law order — child custody, child support and spousal maintenance — are subject to modification by the court if the circumstances underlying the original order have changed.

For child custody and visitation, since the underlying legal standard is the best interests of the child, a modification may be appropriate if something has happened to change what is in the child’s interests. As a child grows up and as parents’ personal circumstances change, this issue can be revisited.

Since child support is based on the parents’ income, a substantial, long-term modification of that income can lead to modification of the child support award. Likewise, if the economic circumstances relevant to a spousal maintenance award have changed, it may be possible to reduce or eliminate the payment.

At JoAnn C. Donovan Attorney at Law, we have been involved in many child custody, child support and spousal maintenance modification cases in the St. Louis County and St. Charles County courts. Contact us to get that experience on your side.

Petitioning the Court for Relocation

Under Missouri law, if either parent of a child covered by a child custody order wants to relocate, the parent wishing to relocate must provide written notice to the other parent. The other parent may object to the proposed relocation. If the parties cannot agree, a court action for modification will usually be filed by one or both of the parties. We understand that relocation can be an urgent issue when it is related to a job, your educational needs, the loss of a home or some other pressing circumstance. We have experience helping clients resolve parental relocation issues and are fully prepared to represent you at the hearing.